“There is growing evidence that exercise is an important component of cancer care and survivorship. FitSTEPS for Life® has made it possible for many cancer patients who do not otherwise have access to an exercise program to adopt a regular lifestyle change that benefits their survival and well-being.”
—Alan M. Miller, M.D., Director, Baylor Charles A. Sammons Cancer Center and Chief of Oncology, Baylor Health Care System.
Understanding Cancer & Exercise
Exercise is of paramount importance in the treatment of cancer. Over the past 10 years scientific studies have consistently demonstrated the multitude of the unprecedented benefits of exercise throughout the cancer care continuum. There is no medicine or other medical therapy that can provide the benefits achieved from consistent exercise. Cancer patients whom exercise, not only have a significantly better life, they have a longer life. Self-empowerment experienced through exercise engenders reconciliation, renewed hope for the future and peace.
Exercising during and following cancer treatment may achieve the following benefits:
- Improved survival of up to 50%
- Reduced fatigue
- Mitigation of chemotherapy side effects
- Improved sensitivity of the cancer tumor to chemotherapy
- Less depression with improved self esteem
- Improved brain function with reduced dementia
- Improved heart and lung function
- Reduced morbidity and mortality from co-existing diseases (hypertension, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, lung disease, Parkinson’s etc.)
- Improved bone and muscle mass
If you wish to have a life changing experience manifest by a consummate improvement in physical and mental function with increased survival, exercise FOR life.